PALAZZO CONTARINI DEL BOVOLO
Scala Contarini del Bovolo
Photograph taken from the Campanile, Copyright Christine
Contarini del Bovolo
Steel engraving from Beaumont de Adalbert,
Le Tour du Monde, 1862.
The Contarini palace on Rio di San Luca, not far from Campo
Manin, was built around 1500. It is called Palazzo Contarini
del Bovolo after the winding staircase at its courtyard
entrance. In Venetian, bovolo means a snail's spiral shell,
chiocciola in Italian.