Corn Street, Bristol
Jones & Co., London, 1829
View in Corn Street from Wine Street at the intersection with High Street and Broad Street. On the left hand side are the Castle Bank (later known as the Dutch House), All Saints Church and the Exchange. On the right hand side are the Council House and (at the blocked Small Street) the Church of St Werburgh (removed in 1878).


St Werburgh's Tower, Bristol
The Graphic,

Corn Street from the opposite side with the church of St Werburgh to the left.

Broad Street, Bristol
Engraving by William Henry Bartlett, Longman & Co., London, 1829
View in Broad Street towards High Street. On the left hand side are Christ Church and, on the corner of Wine Street and High Street, the Castle Bank (the Dutch House). It was in Christ Church that John Davies Mereweather was baptized on 3 October 1816. His siblings, Samuel and Ann, had both been baptized in the same church on 26 January 1801.



Small Street, Bristol
Postcard dated 1904

The shop of Charles James Hill, hosier, was situated on the east side of Small Street, near Corn Street.

Central Bristol
Part of a map in Civitates Orbis Terrarum, Cologne, c. 1600
3 = Christ Church (rebuilt 1787-1790)      
7 = St Werburgh (dismantled in 1878), in Corn Street

Plan of Bristol
Published in The Picture of Bristol by the Rev. John Evans, Bristol, 1818



Bristol, From the Ordnance Survey
Drawn by Lieutenant Robert Kearsley Dawson of the Royal Engineers for the Boundaries Commission, 1832



Bristol by J. Bartholomew, FRGS
A. Fullarton & Co., London & Edinburgh, c. 1875
See below for a large-scale section of the map.



Small Street is marked S, and Tottenham Place is marked T.
In the early 19th century,
the Mereweather family's combined house and shop stood on the corner of Small Street and Corn Street.
Around 1840, John Mereweather, father of John Davies Mereweather, acquired a town-house at 2 Tottenham Place in Clifton, and, together with his daughter Ann, moved there from central Bristol. The four-floor-house, set in a Georgian terrace, commanded splendid views of Brandon Hill, the Cumberland basin and the Somerset hills. Ann inherited the house in 1845, and after her death in 1875, it was passed on to John Davies Mereweather, her half-brother.

By the mid-20th century Mereweather's house had come into the possession of the University of Bristol. In fact, 2, 3 and 4 Tottenham Place all now serve as annexes to Manor Hall, one of the University's undergraduate halls of residence. The houses have been converted for use as student accommodation. 


Bristol, from the Bath Road
Drawing by W. Westall A.R.A., engraved by E. Francis, published in Great Britain Illustrated: A Series of Original Views, London, 1830


View of Bristol from Clifton
Engraving by J. Skelton, c. 1830